Affiliate Disclosure: This page may include links to our partners’ products and services, allowing us to keep our website sustainable. That means when you sign up and/or buy a product or a service using our links, we could receive compensation. However, all opinions expressed in this article are unbiased.
The security software market is diverse and certainly overwhelming for anyone trying to choose the right antivirus. Only a handful are at the top of the industry, with Trend Micro as one of the strongest candidates
Take a look at our Trend Micro AntiVirus review to find out what differentiates it from the competition.
- All-in-one threat protection
- Customisable plans
- Advanced special features
- Cross-platform setup
- Free tools and apps
- Premium customer service
- On the pricier side
- No free version
- Entry-level plan available for Windows only
|Value for money||9|
Available Plans and Security Features
This Tokyo-based company has curated several plans for the Australian market, and we have listed all of them so you can choose the one that suits you best:
Device Security Pro
Device Security Pro offers home users cyber-security for up to ten devices on all the standard platforms – Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, and Chromebook. It protects you from malware, ransomware, computer viruses, and sophisticated identity thefts.
Special features included:
- Trend Micro Maximum Security – multiple-device cloud-based threat protection.
- Secure Banking – keeps all your financial transactions safe, in addition to checking the legitimacy of shopping websites.
- Anti-Scam and Anti-Phishing – makes sure you don’t give away your data to fraudsters and flags malicious phishing emails and scam websites.
- Parental Control – keeps your kids safe online.
- Social Media Privacy – guides you on which links are safe to visit and share and which are not.
- Gaming Mode – pauses notifications during gaming.
A few features not included in Pro, such as IT Helpdesk and kids’ smart devices protection, become unlocked with Device Security Ultimate. If these are not deal breakers for you, this simplified yet sufficient plan may be more than suitable for your needs.
Otherwise, you may want to look into AntiViruses that offer you both on-demand tech support and a Family plan for parental control.
Device Security Ultimate
Trend Micro offers another all-in-one threat protection suite for home users, called Device Security Ultimate. It also protects up to ten devices and is compatible with all standard platforms.
In addition to the features available with Security Pro, in Ultimate, you will also have:
- Password Manager – warns you if your passwords are too weak and generates strong ones.
- Trend Micro Mobile Security – complete protection against malicious apps, banking frauds, suspicious websites, and more.
- Dark Web Monitoring – checks if your personal information has been leaked or found on the dark web.
- Trend Micro VPN – provides you with encrypted communication and turns public WiFi into a secure network.
- 24×7 Tech Support – phone technical support and problem resolution through remote desktop support.
- Children’s Smart Devices Protection – monitors your kids’ online behaviour and limits content. You can find a similar feature with Norton, offering you GPS monitoring, web content filtering, and school-time web limiting.
In addition to that, you will even get Premium Service including personal IT Helpdesk and unlimited remote assistance for service incidents.
Device Security Basic
In case you’re not using as many devices, you may want to consider the third plan, Device Security Basic. It can protect up to six devices on all the platforms mentioned.
It offers you all the same advanced security features already listed; however, you won’t get a Trend Micro VPN, smart device protection for kids, or access to 24/7 tech support.
If you’re keen on a VPN, you need an AntiVirus that can supply you with encrypted traffic for multiple devices, even in the entry-level plan.
Finally, if you don’t need any of the extra features, except the regular Antivirus+ Security, you can buy it separately and use it on one Windows device only.
What’s best about Trend Micro is that you can purchase some of the features separately if you want to combine them and save a few bucks. Similarly, with Kaspersky, you can also download separate apps, although Trend Micro’s offer is a bit more versatile.
We recommend testing your preferred suite within the 30-day free trial period and then deciding whether you need all of the features. Be aware that disabling some of the layers may expose your device to sneaky cyberattacks.
Scanning for Viruses
Let’s talk some more about TrendMicro Online Scan since that’s the spine of all the protection layers.
As with usual security software, Trend Micro has three standard scanning options:
- Scan Now – a quick scan for new threats.
- Full Scan – scans the entire computer.
- Custom scan – you choose which location to scan.
Trend Micro has an incredibly high online threat protection rate-98.97% and only three false alarms. While one of its competitors, boasts a perfect 100% score, with a number of false alarms 22, so this evens out the two programs in a way.
Trend Micro Antivirus Performance and Setup
As its name indicates, Trend Micro loves being up-to-date with all the new trends and identified virus signatures, so it was among the first to become compatible with Windows 11.
Other system requirements are:
- 1.3 GB free hard disk space
- 1GB Memory
- 1 GHz Processor
- Internet Connection
The installation process is pretty intuitive, so apart from entering the serial key and accepting the licence agreement, there’s nothing else you need to do.
Platforms and Free Apps
All Trend Micro products and plans are perfectly compatible with Macs, except you can’t purchase Antivirus+ Security separately as you can with Windows.
There is a specifically designed Trend Micro Mobile Security plan. As with PCs, here also you have the opportunity of a free trial and 30-day money-back guarantee.
Here are the mobile apps available:
- Mobile Security for iOS and Android – the free version protects you from web threats while browsing the web.
- WiFi Protection – uses a VPN with bank-graded data encryption to turn public WiFi into a secure network.
- Password Manager (free) – you only need to remember the password for the location which stores all your other passwords.
Free Tools and Apps
Trend Micro goes above and beyond to provide its users with unique layers of threat protection. Outside of their all-in-one suites, they are offering separate tools and apps for free:
- Crypto-Ransomware File Decryptor Tool – if your files were encrypted due to a cyberattack and therefore unusable, you can regain access to them using this TrendMicro free tool.
- HouseCall for PC and IoT Devices – identifies vulnerabilities caused by Trojan horses, worms, spyware, computer viruses and keeps your devices protected from reinfection.
Plans and Pricing
Although you can’t download TrendMicro Antivirus for free, you can use all of their products for 30 days to test them out and decide if they’re right for you.
Here’s a table of the available priced plans for home users:
|Plan||Antivirus+ Security||Device Security Basic||Device Security Pro||Device Security Ultimate|
|Device||Windows||Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Chromebook||Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Chromebook||Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Chromebook|
|Price for One Year (AUD)||$49.95||$89 for 2 devices$129 for 4 devices$130 for 6 devices||$129 for 3 devices$199 for 6 devices$250 for 10 devices||$312 for 3 devices$382 for 6 devices$433 for 10 devices|
If you’re on a budget, you may want to consider some more affordable AV options, such as Webroot.
It’s also worth looking into a good free alternative Antivirus software with similar features.
As for the mobile devices, these are the solutions:
|Trend Micro Mobile Security for Android||Trend Micro Mobile Security for iOS||WiFi Protection*|
|1 device / 12 months||1 device / 12 months||2 devices / 12 months|
*Compatible with Android and iOS.
If you wish to check the details for your preferred plan, there’s a phone line for Australian customers that you can use Monday-Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., as well as E-Support, available 24/7.
Is Trend Micro Antivirus for You?
Being positioned at the top of the industry, with over 30 years of experience, Trend Micro certainly knows its business. It will provide you with maximum security for all your devices.
We recommend trying out the TrendMicro free trial and seeing for yourself why millions of customers choose this antivirus over the others.
1. Is Trend Micro a good antivirus?
Trend Micro is among the top-ranked security software in the industry, with outstanding results from independent testing and excellent customer reviews.
2. Is Trend Micro worth it?
It’s definitely worth it because it provides you with essential cyber-security and more, thanks to its many features.
3. Which is better, Trend Micro or Norton?
They offer more or less the same features and have a similar score on independent testing. Norton had higher protection and detection rates scores, but Trend Micro had fewer false alarms. In the end, both are top-ranked AVs.
4. How to disable Trend Micro?
To temporarily disable Trend Micro, right-click the Trend Micro icon in the taskbar and select “Exit”. However, disabling it isn’t recommended since you expose your computer to cyberattacks this way.
5. How much does Trend Micro cost?
The entry-level Trend Micro Antivirus price is $49.95 per year for Australian customers, while the all-in-one suite starts from $89. In our TrendMicro AntiVirus review, you can find all the available plans listed.