What Is the Difference Between Blue, Pink, and Green Slips?

What Is the Difference Between Blue, Pink, and Green Slips

Most Aussie drivers are familiar with Compulsory Third Party insurance, i.e. a green slip, but many may not be that informed about safety inspection certificates, also known as blue and pink slips. 

So what is the difference between blue, pink and green slips, when do they need them and how much do they cost?

Read below for the answers.

What Is the Difference Between Blue, Pink, and Green Slips?

The main difference between a green, blue and pink slip in NSW is that pink and blue slips don’t provide insurance coverage. 

A green slip, on the other hand, protects you from liability if your vehicle was involved in a car accident that injured or caused the death of another driver, passenger or pedestrian.

Another difference is that while a green slip is mandatory for all cars registered in the state, a pink slip is a must for older cars and a blue slip is only required for unregistered vehicles.

Here is a closer look at each of the three slips. 

What is a green slip?

A Green Slip or Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance is a mandatory requirement for all vehicles on NSW roads, except trailers. You will need one when you register your vehicle for the first or renew your car registration.

To get more detailed information on what the green slip covers and how much it costs, check out this guide.

What is a pink slip?

A pink slip, or eSafety check, is an inspection report that verifies a vehicle meets all the required registration criteria to be on the road. It is a requirement for all vehicles that are 5 years and older.

The check must be carried out by an authorised inspection station where a mechanic will check all systems, including the lights, engine, wipers, and brakes. 

Although similar to a typical car service inspection, an eSafety check costs around $43, while the average car service cost in Australia varies from $150 to $550. A pink slip for a motorcycle is $24. 

The inspection normally lasts around 30 minutes, but it could be longer or shorter, depending on the vehicle’s condition. Once completed, the results will be sent to Transport NSW. You can then renew the registration online at myRego or by calling them instead of visiting their offices.

Keep in mind that you will need a green slip as well to complete the registration process. 

In case your vehicle fails the inspection, you will be given 14 days to repair the defects. Should you complete the required repairs in two weeks, you can take the car to the same AIS station and get it re-assessed for free. Those who do not repair the vehicle in the given time, will have to apply and pay for a new pink slip.

Types of vehicles that require a pink slip include:

  • Passenger cars
  • Motorcycles
  • Vehicles used to provide point-to-point transport 
  • Smaller trailers and caravans (maximum aggregate trailer mass of 4.5 tonnes)
  • Smaller goods carrying vehicles (GVM of 4.5 tonnes or less)

Do I need a pink slip every 6 months?

Pink slips are valid for 6 months, which means you have 182 days to register your vehicle, after which you will need a new report.

What’s a blue slip?

A blue slip, now known as an Authorised Unregistered Vehicle Inspection Scheme (AUVIS) inspection, is a report issued by Service NSW and is typically required for all unregistered vehicles. 

Blue slip inspections are similar to eSafety checks, but they are a bit more thorough. Mechanics at the authorised inspection station will check all systems, like lights, brakes, suspensions, as well as body rust, extensions and accessories that are deemed illegal and/or dangerous, driveline fluid leaks, headlights, interior lights, seatbelt condition, and towing attachments (among others). 

You will also need identification and ownership papers that will prove the vehicle (or any of its parts) are not stolen, so make sure to add those documents to your blue slip checklist. 

The blue slip cost for a light vehicle is $69 and $42 for a motorcycle. 

Like with the pink slip, failing the check means you have 14 days to resolve all issues. 

Note: Make sure you bring the original of the report when registering your vehicle.

When do I need a blue slip?

Only certain vehicles need to pass an AUVIS inspection. 

These include

  • A vehicle with no number plate
  • A vehicle whose registration has been expired for more than three months
  • A car that is being re-registered from another state
  • A vehicle that has been significantly modified 
  • A vehicle that has been written off before and is now ready for registration 
  • A car that is being returned on the road after defects are repaired. 

Do I need a blue slip to get a green slip?

If any of the criteria explained above apply to your vehicle, you will need both a blue slip and a green slip (Compulsory Third Party insurance) when registering your car. 

How long does a blue slip last? 

An AUVIS inspection report is only valid for 42 days during which you need to register the vehicle. If you do not register your car within the allotted time, you will have to apply for another blue slip. 

Do I need a pink slip if I have a blue slip?

No. The difference between a blue slip and a pink slip is when and on what kind of car you need to get the inspection done. 

If you have just bought a new car that is unregistered or registered in a different state than NSW, your vehicle will need to undergo a blue slip inspection. 

If you’re renewing the registration for your 5 years or older car, you will need to get a pink slip. 

Although with blue slips, your vehicle will undergo more in-depth inspection, both slips are used to verify that your vehicle is safe to be on the road. 

When should you buy a car in Australia to get the best deal possible? Our helpful guide has the answers. 

Bottom Line

Even though the differences between the three are pretty straightforward, you can get easily confused, which is why knowing the answer to questions such as ‘pink slip vs green slip: Which one do I need?’ or ‘what is the difference between blue, pink and green slips’ are necessary when registering your vehicle. If you have more questions and queries, contact Service NSW.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *