you’re one of one billion active Instagram users, you are surely familiar with the platform’s numerous features, including tagging. But is there a limit to tagging on Instagram? What’s the difference between mentioning and tagging? How to gain more exposure on Instagram?
Look no further; this article will provide you with the latest information.
What Is Tagging on Instagram?
Tagging is a feature that allows you to add other Instagram users to your posts and reels. When you tag someone, they receive a notification instantly.
People can see who you’ve tagged in a post simply by tapping on it. Once they do, the profiles of tagged users or pages will pop up on the post.
How to Tag Someone on Instagram?
Tagging someone on Instagram is pretty simple. You can tag someone in a new post, or you can tag them on an existing one.
Tag someone on a new post:
- Open the Instagram app
- In the upper right corner, click on the ‘+’ sign
- Click on ‘Post’ from the menu
- Select the picture/video you want to add
- Select the people or pages you want to tag
- Add a description (optional)
- Post the picture/video
Tag someone on an existing post:
- Open the Instagram app
- Go to your profile
- Tap on the post you want to edit
- In the upper right corner, click on the three dots
- Select ‘Edit’
- Click on ‘Tag people’ in the lower-left corner
- Tag the people or pages that you’d like
- Click on the checkmark in the upper right corner
Is There a Limit to Tagging on Instagram?
Unfortunately, the number of people you can tag on an Instagram post is limited. As of 2022, you can only tag 20 people per post.
In addition to this, there are certain Instagram tagging limitations users themselves can set. For example, some people can choose not to be tagged in posts—if you want to tag their profile, a message will pop up, saying ‘user doesn’t allow to be tagged by everyone’.
This is usually done by public accounts and those with lots of followers or influencers. However, any user can enable this option by following these steps:
- Open Instagram
- Click on your profile
- Open ‘Settings’
- Select ‘Privacy’
- Click on ‘Posts’
- Select the ‘Allow tags from’ option
- You can choose one of the three options:
- People you follow
- No one
How to Use Instagram Tagging for More Exposure
Many people use the Instagram tag option to gain more exposure on the platform. There are a few simple tricks that all influencers and celebrities use:
- Tag people on existing posts
- Tag people on new posts
- Add location tags
- Add product tags
- Keep your tags relevant to the topic
- Avoid adding too many tags (this can be considered spammy behaviour and lead to getting shadowbanned by Instagram)
What Is @Mentioning on Instagram
Mentioning on Instagram refers to entering an Instagram account’s username after typing the @ symbol. By doing that, those who click on this mention will be redirected to that account’s Instagram profile.
You can mention people in your post descriptions and stories, but also comments on your and other users’ posts. When mentioned, they’ll receive a notification.
Here’s how you can mention Instagram users:
Mentioning someone on a new post
- Click on the ‘+’ symbol to add a new post on Instagram
- Choose the photo/video/reel you want to post
- Select a filter (optional)
- Decide whether you want to tag someone
- Write a description
- While writing it, type the ‘@’ symbol and the person you want to mention
- Post the photo/video/reel
Mentioning someone on an existing post
- Open the post you want to edit
- Click on the three dots on the side
- Click on ‘Edit’
- Change the description and add the people or pages you want to mention;
- Save the changes
Mentioning someone in a comment
- Type ‘@’ and the person’s username. You can mention them in the comments on your or other users’ posts.
Mentioning someone in your Instagram story
- Select a photo or video to share and tap the ‘Aa’ option
- Type @, enter the account’s username, and select the person you’d like to mention
- Tap ‘Done’
When someone is mentioned in your story, anyone who can see it can tap on the mention and get redirected to that user’s profile.
Tagging vs @Mentioning an Instagram Account
Although similar, these two Instagram features differ:
- You can tag people on your posts, while mentioning is reserved for descriptions, comments, and stories.
- Other users can’t add tags to your posts, but they can mention users in the comments on your posts.
- An Instagram profile doesn’t have a separate section for mentions, but it does for tagged posts.
When it comes to their similarities, both stories and posts allow tagging/mentioning up to 20 people. In addition to this, just like people can’t add tags to your posts, they can’t mention others in your stories or descriptions (but can in the comments).
Many Instagram users tag and mention other users to gain more attention on the platform. However, now that you know the answer to the question ‘is there a limit to tagging on Instagram,’ you can be careful about how many people you tag on your posts.
This can help you prevent getting shadowbanned and reported for spammy behaviour. Exposure is all about quality, not quantity.
1. How to tag people on a story?
You cannot tag people on Instagram stories; you can only mention them. To do that, just click on the ‘Aa’ icon when sharing a story, and type ‘@’ and the username of the person you want to mention.
2. How do you tag on Instagram for followers?
You can only tag people who allow being tagged. If you want to increase the number of your followers and attract a wider audience, check the ‘How to use Instagram tagging for more exposure’ section above.
3. Why does Instagram limit tagging?
Many Instagram users abuse the tagging option, which leads to spammy behaviour. To gain more control over this, Instagram sets certain limitations on how many people you can tag or mention. So, if you were wondering ‘is there a limit to tagging on Instagram’—there is.