If you have a Facebook friend that posts everything they do or a frenemy you don’t want to be peeking at your posts and photos, there’s a way to block them without their knowledge.
Read how to block someone on Facebook without them knowing.
How To Block Someone on Facebook Without Them Knowing
Below are presented three tips you can utilise when you don’t want to see posts of certain people on your feed, but at the same time you don’t want to hit the “unfriend” button.
1. Add them to “acquaintances” list
You can like someone but not like seeing their posts. So, the best way to resolve this problem is to add them to the acquaintances’ list. Once you do that, Facebook will dwindle the news feed updates from that person to a minimum. Of course, you will get an update if they got a new job or married, but you won’t have to see their daily posts.
To add a friend to your acquaintances’ list on your iPhone or Android, follow these steps:
- Tap on the friend’s name
- Tap on the Friends button and then on Edit Friends List
- Tap Acquaintances, and finally, on Done.
To hide your post from the friends on your Acquaintances’ list, tap or click on the “Friends except” option in the audience selector.
2. Block unwanted posts
If you have a friend who constantly posts depressive news or political rants, you can block updates from that person instead of blocking them. Here’s how to block someone on the Facebook app on iPhone, Android or the web:
- Tap or click on the three dots next to their post
- A pop-up menu will appear
- To permanently block their posts, tap on “Unfollow”. But don’t worry you can always undo this in case you change your mind.
- If you want temporarily block their post, tap on “Snooze for 30 days”.
If there are more friends whose posts give you the ick, there’s an option which allows you to unfollow baches of people. Tap the More button in the bottom-right corner for iOS users and the top-right corner for Android.
iOS users need to go to News Feed Preferences, and then tap “Unfollow people to hide their posts,” while Android users need to tap Settings or News Feed Preferences, and then select friends.
3. Add them to your Facebook Restricted List
You have recently added a judgy elder relative of yours, and you have to think twice about every post, but unfriending them isn’t something you want to do. So, what can you do?
The third clever way how to unfriend someone on Facebook without them knowing is to add them to your Facebook Restricted list. Once you do that, they won’t be able to see any of your posts unless they’re flagged with “Public”.
To put that annoying relative or another friend to the Facebook Restricted list on your iPhone, here are the steps you need to follow:
- Tap that friend’s name in your friends list
- Tap on the Friends button, then tap Take a Break
- Under the Limit What (name of friend) Will See section, tap See Options, then tap Hide your posts from (name of friend).
For Android users, you can achieve this by:
- Tapping a friend’s name in your friends’ list
- Tap the Friends button, then on Edit Friend List
- Scroll down, and tap on Restricted
How to Invite All Friends on Facebook to Like a Page
How To Block Someone on Messenger Without Them Knowing on iPhone
There is no way to block someone on Messenger without them knowing because they will see that the message won’t be delivered. If you still want to block them, here’s how to go for it:
- On Facebook Messenger, tap on Chats
- Tap on the person’s photo you want to block
- Tap Block.
You might be interested in: Why does Facebook say this content is not available and how to fix it
There are a couple of ways you can block someone on Facebook without them knowing.
First, you can add them to the acquaintance list and limit their post frequency on your feed. Another option is to block their updates, or add them to your Facebook Restricted list, and they won’t be able to see any of your posts. And there you have it, a complete guide and answer on how to block someone on Facebook without them knowing.
1. Is blocking on Facebook and Messenger the same?
Blocking someone on Facebook means that the person will be removed as your Facebook friend and they will be blocked on Messenger. Blocking on Messenger only blocks the person’s calls and messages.
2. Can I know if someone has blocked me on Facebook Messenger?
You can tell if someone has blocked you on Facebook Messenger by sending them a message. If it’s not delivered, and the person is online, they have blocked you.
3. When you block someone on Facebook what do they see?
When you block someone on Facebook, they won’t be able to see any of your posts and comment. Likewise, you won’t be able to see their posts, comments, or likes.
4. Can I block someone on FB without them knowing?
Yes, you can. So, how to block someone on Facebook without them knowing? You can add them to acquaintances list, block their updates, or add them to your Facebook Restricted List.